What is better than a book, a blanket, a warm drink, and a blazing fire in the fireplace? Sounds like absolute heaven to me! The prompt for Bookending Winter from yesterday (yes, I’m a day late) is cozy recommendations. Allow me to hit you with some of my favorite reads to snuggle up in front of a fire with. What recommendations do you have for me?
5. Vain by Fisher Amelie – I loved this book. It is a new adult contemporary that I was so into from the very beginning. Sophie is a spoiled, rich girl who feels she is invincible. When she gets busted for doing drugs, she is sentenced not to jail or rehab, but to volunteer work in Uganda. Vain did a great job–an amazing job–bringing the characters to life. I could cozy up and read this book for hours.
4. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh – I just added it to my list of life goals to cozy up and read this enchanting book in front of a fire. This book was inspired by the classic A Thousand and One Nights. Hate to love is probably my favorite trope, and The Wrath and the Dawn hit the spot for me.
3. The Library of Fates by Aditi Khorana – This beautiful book is so underrated, in my opinion. It is another one that reads a little like a fairy tale. Apparently “enchanting” is my word for cozying up by the fire. The story is about a girl who is meant to wed the horrible Emperor of a neighboring kingdom. She flees the home she has always known and sets off on a transformative adventure. I loved how vivid the writing was in this tale, as well as the beautiful magic system in the book. If you like mythology, retellings, parables, anything like that, you’ll like this.
2. Don’t Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon – I have to add a little bit of suspense to this list so I’m going to go with this one, mainly because of the twist at the end. There is NO WAY to see this coming! At least, not to this extent. The entire book reads like a thriller where a child goes missing, there are strange phone calls, and a twisty-story line. You think its all real, until POOF! Mind. Blown.
1. Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young – This is the perfect book to read in front of a fire! SITD has all the cozy things–family, friendship, community (eventually), and a little romance. Plus, the cold and forest-y setting is just meant for fireside reading.
So there you have it, folks. My top 5 fireside reads. So crank up that Yanni holiday album and cozy up. I hope you enjoy.